Dealing with a Failed Dental Implant: The Removal Process

Dental Implants are often hailed as an ideal solution for tooth replacement, boasting a success rate of 90% to 95%. But what about the remaining 5% to 10%? In these instances, the implants may fail, necessitating a removal procedure. This article provides detailed insight on the process of failed dental implant removal.

Understanding the Removal Process for Failed Dental Implants

The first step in the removal of a failed dental implant involves a thorough assessment by your dentist. This evaluation will aid in determining the most suitable procedure to extract the implant without causing substantial harm to the surrounding bone tissue.

Often, a round or diamond bur is utilized in this procedure. This instrument delicately shaves off minimal bone tissue around the implant, thereby facilitating its removal. Alternatively, a piezo-electric device can be employed to gently remove the bone tissue enveloping your implant.

No matter the technique employed, the primary objective remains the same – the safe removal of the implant while preserving the healthy bone tissue in the adjacent jaw area. This is crucial to keep your future treatment options open.

Life After Dental Implant Removal: What to Expect?

Following the removal of your dental implant, the treated area may require some time to fully heal. It’s crucial to discuss your future treatment plans with your dentist at this stage. Based on imaging tests of your jawbone, your dentist can come up with suitable recommendations, which may include another dental implant.

A failed dental implant can lead to discomforting symptoms such as pain, swelling, and tenderness. Dealing with these symptoms, your dentist might recommend the removal of the dental implant. At CITIDental Tremont, we specialize in the careful and delicate removal of these implants. Our team can guide you through the subsequent steps following your implant removal. Reach out to us for support or to schedule an appointment.

Skip to content